Friday, October 30, 2015

DID YOU KNOW? New EPA Regs for Water Heaters!

I just tried to order a new 65 gallon natural gas hot water heater to replace an original model (2004) in my own home that has been acting up a bit.  The plumber stunned me when he said, "As of April, 2015, 65 gallon natural gas tanks are no longer made. The EPA said they were not energy-efficient enough and are discontinued".  WOW... was all I could think.  Being a Realtor, I thought of all the clients who might have 65 gallon tanks and are most likely unaware too!

Natural gas options:  a 50 or a 75 gallon tank.  It didn't take much discussion with my husband to say we should go with the 75. It is just the 2 of us and a 50 gallon would work just fine. However, the likelihood we sell before this new tank retires is possible and our home will most likely attract a family of more than 2. It will likely be a deterrent to the sale if we have a 50 gallon tank when other homes our size have a 65 gallon older tank, or have upgraded to the 75. Something to think about in your planning. We also haven't finished our basement yet, and when we do, that will add another bath - requiring additional hot water.

Electric options: The plumber proceeded to tell me about the less than ideal options for electric water heater replacement!  The EPA also mandated the 66 and 80 gallon electric tanks be discontinued for their energy-inefficient qualities.  I asked him what options those homeowners have and his response was this: "they either downgrade to a 50 gallon tank and lose 3 showers a day, or upgrade to 2 - 50 gallon tanks and immediately add $60/month to their electric bill OR they have to go a hybrid system".  Now, I don't know about you, but how is that a savings over a 66 or 80 gallon tank that might not be quite as "efficient"?  And the cost of retro-fitting 2 - 50 gallon tanks where 1 - 80 gallon sat?  All of a sudden the replacement cost is more than doubled!

Maybe I am the only one who missed the press release, but I wanted to pass the info along.  What I thought would be a 1400-1500 replacement cost is now a 1800-1900 bill for an 11.5 year old heater - so long as I don't need a new expansion tank or a new tray. i'll keep you posted on the results once it is installed!

No comments:

Post a Comment